Athenian Brewery S.A.
Brewing a Better Future
Launched in 2010 "Brewing a Better Future" is Heineken's long-term sustainability ambition for 2020. 23 integrated programmes make up the ambition, focussing on improving the environmental impact of Heineken's brands and business, empowering people and the communities in which Heineken operates and positively impacting the role of beer in society.
Amongst the commitments Heineken has made as part of its approach to sustainability are:
- by 2020 a reduction of specific direct and indirect CO2 emissions in breweries by at least 40% and a reduction in specific water consumption by at least 25%
- to expand to EUR 20 million the funding for the Heineken Africa Foundation
- to expand the local sourcing of raw materials in Africa to 60% by 2020
- the continuous reduction of our CO2 footprint of our brands
- by 2015 ensuring that all markets have a partnership that help the company play its part in reducing alcohol abuse
- by 2015 for every majority-owned business to have a sustainability plan and to report publicly on its progress and commitment.
The "Brewing a Better Future" initiative comes a decade after Heineken published its first sustainability agenda in 2000. Over the past decade, the company has made significant progress to improve its responsibility towards various stakeholders. Heineken is a member of UN Global Compact LEAD, subscribes to the UN Water Mandate and actively promotes responsible consumption via brand communication and responsibility activities in partnership with other beverage companies. Heineken is also member of FTSE4Good.